Getting into an Uber or Lyft seems like a good idea. You expect the driver to be a friendly, professional, and cautious driver. And while it is almost always the case, there are instances when ridesharing apps pose additional dangers and risks to the passenger. The Law Office of Howard Craig Kornberg is presently handling many cases where Uber and Lyft passengers have suffered severe life-changing injuries and damages.
Uber and Lyft are considered to be common carriers under the law. This means that Uber and Lyft drivers are held to a higher standard of safe driving and caution and must be much more careful than all other drivers on the road. Therefore, it is easier to prove negligence and fault against an Uber or Lyft driver.
We are not talking about Uber or Lyft safety in terms of only causing motor vehicle accidents, we are talking about the dangers posed by Uber and Lyft drivers for other conduct that may cause harm to their passengers. Over the past few years, we have seen numerous headlines that Uber and Lyft drivers sexually harassed and assaulted their passengers, physically assaulted them, kidnapped them, or engaged in other types of crime. The Law Office of Howard C. Kornberg represents individuals who are injured by Uber and Lyft drives in any way, and we have had excellent results recovering large settlements and verdicts in these cases.
WHAT IF YOU DO GET INTO AN UBER OR LYFT ACCIDENT IN LOS ANGELES?
If you or somebody you care about has been injured in an accident involving an Uber or Lyft vehicle, the time to act is now. At the Law Offices of Howard Craig Kornberg, we have extensive experience handling
accidents specifically involving Uber and Lyft vehicles. Our Uber and Lyft accident attorneys know that these cases can become immensely complex, particularly when dealing with the various insurance carriers involved.
Both Uber and Lyft handle these accidents on a tiered basis that revolves around the actions of their driver at the time the incident occurred. Specifically, insurance coverage in these situations will depend on the status of the rideshare driver at the time the crash occurs.
- If an Uber or Lyft driver is not signed into their app to work when they cause an accident, then their personal insurance carrier will be responsible for paying for any damages.
- If an Uber or Lyft driver is signed into their app to work but does not have a passenger, and if they are not on the way to pick a passenger up, then their personal insurance carrier will still be primarily responsible if they cause an accident. However, both rideshare companies do provide limited coverage in the event the personal carrier denies a claim or if the insurance limits are exhausted.
- Finally, if an Uber or Lyft driver has a passenger or is on the way to pick one up, then both rideshare companies have a $1 million insurance policy that is supposed to kick in and cover everybody involved.
The investigation into an Uber or Lyft accident can be complex, into this will involve uncovering any evidence that can be used to prove liability. A Los Angeles Uber or Lyft accident attorney can use their resources to fully investigate the claim, determine liability, and recover full compensation for their client. This can include coverage of:
- All past and future medical bills related to the crash
- Past and future lost income if a victim cannot work
- Any household out-of-pocket expenses
- Property damage expenses
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of quality of life damages
CONTACT OUR UBER AND LYFT ACCIDENT ATTORNEYS FOR A FREE CONSULTATION TODAY
Have your privacy or safety been violated by Uber or Lyft drivers in Los Angeles or elsewhere in California? Consult with our car accident attorney from the Law Offices of Howard Craig Kornberg to find out more. Schedule a free consultation by calling 310-997-0904 or complete this contact form.