As the United States and California continue to grapple with slowing the spread of COVID-19, we are seeing many reports of a dramatic reduction in traffic accidents and traffic deaths. This is due to most people heeding Gov. Newsome’s stay at home orders. However, there are still many people who use their vehicles every day, as well as those who are out walking or bicycling for exercise. At the Law Offices of Howard Craig Kornberg, we do not want drivers, pedestrians, or bicyclists to be lulled into a false sense of security. Our car accident attorneys want to discuss several safety tips everyone should be following.
Stay at home orders have reduced traffic accidents
To be sure, COVID-19 is negatively affecting this country and state. Many thousands of people have died, and the death toll may rise into hundreds of thousands. However, since the stay-at-home orders for California went into effect on March 20, vehicle collisions have been reduced by approximately 50% according to a study from UC Davis. Fraser Shilling, co-director of the Road Ecology Center at US Davis said that “The reduction works out to about 15,000 fewer collisions per month and 6,000 fewer injury accidents per month.”
However, at the Law Offices of Howard Craig Kornberg, we want to warn drivers and pedestrians alike that there is still a risk of accidents, and not to let their guard down. Due to less traffic on the roadway, many drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists may assume they can be less vigilant. That is not the case.
Drivers must take precautions:
- Drive at appropriate speeds.
- Put away any distractions such as phones and other devices.
- Continue to stop at crosswalks.
- Never assume a pedestrian or bicyclist sees you.
Pedestrians and bicyclists must:
- Continue to follow all traffic laws.
- Stop at and use marked crosswalks.
- Wear brightly colored clothing, particularly in the evening and at night.
- Never assume a driver sees you.
The coronavirus pandemic is going to alter the way we live for some time, but this does not mean we can be less vigilant in and around the roadway. We are all in this together, and we will come out of this COVID-19 pandemic stronger. Let’s all keep each other in mind when we are outperforming essential activities.
We are here to help your case
If you or somebody you love has been injured in a traffic collision that was caused by somebody else’s careless or negligent actions, seek legal assistance today. At the Law Offices of Howard Craig Kornberg, our team is ready to investigate your case and work to secure any compensation you may be entitled to. This could include:
- Coverage of your medical bills related to the crash
- Compensation for lost income if you cannot work
- Pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against a negligent party