Even those living in California may have noticed that winter weather conditions get more and more unpredictable and messy by the year. Yesterday was sunny and you were comfortable wearing a T-shirt, while today there is snow and ice all over the place and you cannot keep yourself warm in a coat (in addition to several layers of warm clothing underneath).
In fact, with the Christmas holidays just around the corner, many California residents will be traveling to other states to visit their families for the holidays. Some of these states have freezing temperatures and severe winter weather conditions that can affect your ability to drive and increase the risk of crashing into a tree, building, other vehicles, or worse, a pedestrian.
That’s why we decided to invite our car crash attorney Los Angeles from the Law Offices of Howard Craig Kornberg to outline driving safety tips for you to survive this holiday season in one piece. This guide will be particularly useful for those of you planning a road trip to another (colder) state during this holiday season.
- One of the biggest challenges of driving in winter weather conditions is not the fact that it’s difficult to keep yourself warm in the vehicle. It’s that navigating snowy, icy, and wet surfaces can be a burdensome task. While this will require financial investment, consider upgrading your car to prepare for the winter season. Getting safety features like traction control can significantly improve your ability to operate a vehicle on snowy, icy, and wet surfaces.
- Before embarking on your road trip to visit your family in some colder state this holiday season, it is paramount that you properly and thoroughly warm up your vehicle on cold days. “However, steer clear of leaving your car running in an enclosed area due to the risk of getting carbon monoxide poisoning,” warns our car accident attorney Los Angeles.
- It might also be useful to share your GPS location and travel plans with a family member or friend before your road trip on Christmas. It often happens that drivers become stranded during road trips, which is having a friend who will be checking up on you could potentially save your life or, at the very least, prevent your holidays from becoming a big, messy, and cold disaster (because, believe me, being stranded in the middle of nowhere when your car won’t start and it’s freezing cold outside is not exactly the most joyful experience).
- Upgrading your vehicle before a road trip during the holiday season is not the only thing you can do to your vehicle to ensure your safety during the trip. Our car crash lawyer also says it is of great importance that you have a mechanic inspect and maintain your car, especially if you are embarking on a long road trip. The most essential things that must be checked in your vehicle are ignition, brakes, tires, and battery life.
- Last but not least, if you get into a dense blizzard during your trip, it is important to pull over and wait for weather conditions to get better. Stay away from operating your vehicle until you feel comfortable getting behind the wheel again.
Getting into a car accident during the holiday season can be frustrating, stressful, and can certainly ruin your Christmas spirit unless, of course, you let your experienced car accident attorney in Los Angeles handle your legal case on your behalf and help you recover damages. Get a free consultation by contacting the Law Offices of Howard Craig Kornberg. Call our offices at 310-997-0904 today.