If you have sustained a pedestrian knock-down injury while strolling down the streets of Los Angeles or elsewhere in California, you may be wondering, “Who can be sued for pedestrian accidents in California?”
Contrary to the popular belief, pedestrians in the Golden State can sue multiple parties for their knock-down injury as long as these parties were liable for the accident. As you may have guessed, the list of these parties goes well beyond cars and other vehicles that fail to yield the right of way to pedestrians.
Who can be sued for your pedestrian accident injury in California?
So who can be sued for pedestrian accidents in California? This is the question we asked our pedestrian accident attorney Los Angeles at Law Offices of Howard Craig Kornberg. Turns out, apart from cars and other vehicles, injured pedestrians may also be able to file a personal injury claim against:
- Motorcyclists, bicyclists, and car drivers driving on the sidewalk;
- Unleashed dogs;
- Other pedestrians; and
- The government (for slip and fall and trip and fall injuries caused by uneven sidewalks and other trip hazards on the sidewalk).
“Needless to say, you can bring a lawsuit against any of the above-mentioned parties as long as this party’s negligence caused your knock-down injury,” explains our Los Angeles pedestrian accident attorney. Typically, you will need to consult with a lawyer to determine who was to blame for the accident, and whose negligence, carelessness, or reckless caused your injury.
The most common causes of pedestrian accidents in California (excluding vehicles striking pedestrians)
More often than not, we hear stories of pedestrians getting hit by cars or other vehicles in Los Angeles and elsewhere in California. But not all pedestrian knock-down accidents are caused by vehicles, as a large percentage of pedestrian accidents can be caused by other parties.
The term “pedestrian knock-down accident” refers to any accident involving a pedestrian who has been knocked to the ground due the negligence on the part of another party. Our experienced pedestrian accident attorney in Los Angeles outlines some of the most common causes of pedestrian knock-down injuries as follows:
- Individuals running or jogging on the sidewalk in the same or opposite direction;
- Other pedestrians distracted by their cell phones or other gadgets, or simply daydreaming;
- Unleashed or uncontrolled dogs;
- Children running or playing around on the sidewalk;
- Bicyclists on the sidewalk;
- Individuals riding skateboards or hoverboards on the sidewalk;
- Groups of people who walk side by side;
- City buses or trucks with large side mirrors;
- Drivers and passengers opening the doors of parked cars and other vehicles;
- Fighting and other types of violence on the sidewalk; and
- Uneven sidewalks or other trip hazards on the sidewalk.
As you may have guessed, this is not the full list of causes of pedestrian knock-down accidents in California.
How to sue for your pedestrian accident injury in California?
Our Los Angeles pedestrian accident attorney explains that in order to sue any of the above-mentioned parties for your injury, your lawyer will have to demonstrate evidence of that party’s negligence as well as establish three elements of your personal injury claim:
- The party owed you a duty of care;
- The duty of care was breached by the party’s negligence, carelessness, or recklessness, and
- The breach of duty was a substantial factor in causing your knock-down injury.
Let our skilled lawyers at Law Offices of Howard Craig Kornberg look into your particular situation and determine the value of your personal injury claim. Schedule a free consultation by calling at 310-997-0904.