With the state of the environment and American health issues, many commuters are making the choice to use their bicycles as transportation to and from work, especially in urban areas. Bicycles are both a healthy and clean mode of transportation, but there are still dangers in using them. Drivers in automobiles may not pay attention to a bicycle’s presence, causing serious injuries and unexpected collisions.
It’s not just careless drivers that can cause an accident. Unsafe roads, careless pedestrians, and defective bicycle designs can also play a part. It’s important to always wear a helmet, but if you didn’t, you may still be eligible to make a claim. Any California resident who has suffered an injury due to someone else’s negligence has the right to file a personal injury claim to obtain compensation for their damages. When in doubt, speak to a Los Angeles personal injury attorney for advice.
What Should You Do Immediately Following a Bicycle Accident?
There are certain steps you should take after being injured in a bicycle accident. These steps will make sure you get the medical help you need and set you up to make a personal injury claim if deemed necessary.
- Call for Emergency Medical Services: If you were hit by a car, truck, or other vehicle while riding your bike, call 9-1-1 for help. If you are physically unable to do so, ask someone else to make the call. Try to move off the road if your injuries aren’t serious. Otherwise, wait where you are for the ambulance to arrive.
- Get Medical Treatment: Always consider getting medical attention after an accident. Because of the rush of adrenaline, you may not notice any pain until the following day. Not seeking medical treatment can lead smaller injuries to become more significant and invalidate your ability to obtain compensation from the party at fault.
- Gather Evidence: Always take down the contact information of the driver or pedestrian involved in the incident, as well as any witnesses that may have been present at the time of the crash. Then take pictures and videos of the scene, any injuries, the points of impact and rest, the damaged bike and vehicle, the driver’s license plate, and any roadway signs that may have been ignored. These will all be helpful in building a case with your Los Angeles personal injury attorney.
How Do You File a Personal Injury Claim?
Any party responsible for a bicycle accident can be held liable for damages and ordered to pay compensation to the plaintiff. If you’re injured in a bicycle accident, you may be able to recover the following damages:
- Past and future medical bill costs
- Past and future lost wages
- Pain and suffering from physical and emotional injuries
- Damage to your bicycle, gear, or other property
Always speak to an attorney before talking to the responsible party’s insurer. These companies never have your best interests at heart. They’ll try to convince you that you’re at fault or offer you a lower settlement amount. By hiring an experienced attorney, you’ll have someone on your side who can negotiate on your behalf and instigate litigation if necessary.
While riding bikes can be a great way to get healthy and help the environment, other vehicles still present hazards that can lead to severe injuries. When this happens, you need the experience of a qualified Los Angeles personal injury attorney law firm like the Law Offices of Howard Craig Kornberg. Let us help you win the compensation you deserve. Call us today at 310-997-0904 or contact us online for a free initial consultation.