On behalf of The Law Offices of Howard Craig Kornberg posted in Car accidents
The commute to work each morning can be frustrating, stressful, and altogether annoying. Does it seem like no matter when you leave you still find yourself sitting in traffic? That’s why some people like to venture out before sunrise. An early-morning commute can help you beat the traffic, put you in the office faster, and even allow you to head home before the afternoon rush.
The early-morning commute can be an easy one, especially when you are one of only a few cars on the roads of Los Angeles. Despite there being little to no traffic, you could still run into some hazards that can lead to car accidents if you aren’t careful, according to our Los Angeles car crash attorney from the Law Offices of Howard Craig Kornberg.
Just how congested are the roads of California and beyond? The United States Census Bureau estimates that 120 million people across the country commute to work each and every morning. Moving your morning commute to the time prior to rush hour can help you avoid traffic but it can bring with it some real dangers.
6 Important Safety Tips for Your Early-Morning Commute
- Learn the route. If you are going to be commuting to work prior to rush hour, it’s likely part of the trip will occur before sunrise. Make sure you learn the route in the event there is an accident, construction, or other types of road closure. Learning the route will also help you navigate curves, changes in posted speed limits, pedestrian crossings, school bus routes, trash routes and newspaper delivery routes.
- Beware of sun glare. Sun glare is problematic when driving so early in the morning. You typically don’t have to deal with sun glare when you are sitting in normal rush hour traffic. If you head out before rush hour, when the sun is still rising, sun glare can become a problem. Make sure you have sunglasses with you and that you use the visors in the car.
- Reduce distractions. As with any other time of day, you need to reduce distractions while driving. Getting behind the wheel while it’s still dark means your line of vision will be less than with natural light. Don’t use your cell phone, unless it’s an emergency, don’t eat, don’t drink, don’t play with the radio and don’t shave while driving. Focus on the road in front of you at all times.
- Avoid drowsy driving. You are likely already tried when driving during the morning rush. If you move up your commute to before the rush you will probably be even more tired. If you are too drowsy in the morning, don’t push yourself to beat the traffic. It’s just not worth it. Drowsy driving is just as bad as distracted or drunk driving.
- Monitor your speed. It can be very easy to speed when driving so early in the morning. There isn’t a lot of traffic around you to prevent going over the speed limit. Check the posted speed limit on every road and make sure you stay within a couple miles of it.
- Watch for animals. The time of the morning prior to sunrise is known for deer and other animals. You need to be on the lookout for these hazards on your commute to work in Glendale.
If you have suffered an injury during your early-morning commute in Los Angeles or anywhere else in California, it’s best for you to consult with our Los Angeles car accident lawyer from the Law Offices of Howard Craig Kornberg. Call the office at 310-997-0904 or provide your information on this contact form.