The disgraced media mogul, Harvey Weinstein, has had his name in the press quite a few times in recent months, both due to multiple sexual harassment and assault allegations and the impact on Weinstein Co. A further lawsuit has now come to light which, although it involves sexual assault claims, is quite different to the others, and not only because the victim is male. Gregory Ackers, who is representing himself in the Los Angeles lawsuit, has filed on the basis of personal liability, premises liability, and intentional body injury. The case was brought to Los Angeles County Superior Court in November 2017.
Weinstein Now Facing Los Angeles Premises Liability Suit
The information which has been made available about this lawsuit contains some graphic details relating to the plaintiff’s allegations, relating to an incident which took place at a 2007 American Film Market event in Santa Monica’s Akwa restaurant. The plaintiff stated that he was an aspiring director at the time of the assault.
Although the statute of limitations for filing this case may have passed, it continues to proceed through the Los Angeles legal system, having been assigned to an Independent Calendar Court in February.
Premises Liability Claims in Los Angeles
No details of the premises liability aspect of the lawsuit filed by Mr. Ackers are currently available, and it is important to remember that no evidence of any wrongdoing has yet been presented. However, in more general terms, a Los Angeles premises liability claim will involve an injury caused by dangerous conditions on a specific property. For a case to exist, it must be proved that:
- The accident was caused by a condition or hazard that was known by the owner of the premises or should reasonably have been known by them
- The risk posed to the victim was unreasonable, and could not have been avoided or anticipated
Slip and fall accidents make up a large percentage of the cases seen by a Los Angeles premises liability attorney and involve, as the name suggests, injuries caused by slipping, tripping, or otherwise falling due to an unexpected hazard. For example, a slip and fall accident may be caused by:
- Slipping on a freshly washed or waxed floor, where no warning signs were in place
- Tripping over an obstacle, or debris, left on the floor
- Injuries caused by dangerous conditions in a property
- Tripping over exposed pipes in a store
- Falling due to uneven sidewalks in a public place
Working with a Dedicated Los Angeles Premises Liability Attorney
If you have sustained injuries due to a slip and fall, or other types of premises liability-related incident, only a highly-experienced Los Angeles premises liability attorney is likely recovering the maximum compensation you deserve.
Through utilizing an aggressive and comprehensive approach to pursuing your case, your Los Angeles premises liability attorney will seek to prove that:
- The possessor or owner of the property created the fault or hazard
- The owner failed to repair a dangerous condition despite being aware of it
- Enough time was allowed between the hazard first developing and the time of the accident, to make repairs reasonably achievable