Thanksgiving is a wonderful time of the year, full of family, friends, love, thanks, feasting, and fun. There’s no doubt about that.
But it’s also a very dangerous holiday that not only contributes to the rise of car accidents on the streets of Riverside (DUI drivers alert!) but can also leave you or your guests injured as you celebrate Thanksgiving with your family or friends… at home!
“Blame the alcohol,” you may think. But not necessarily.
In fact, there are many surroundings that may be hazardous in the house, where your family will be enjoying turkey and stuffing; a grocery store, where you will be buying that turkey and tons of other products; a restaurant, if your family decides to celebrate Thanksgiving in a fancy, more expensive way.
In fact, you could get in legal trouble if any of your guests gets injured during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Our premises liability attorneys have no doubt that there will be lots of fun (and booze) during the celebrations, which is why we’ve provided you with a bullet-proof guide to preparing your house for Thanksgiving and ensuring every guest’s safety.
How to prove negligence in a premises liability claim?
First of all, it’s no easy task to prove premises liability and negligence on the part of the property owner. So if you get injured at someone else’s house during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend (or at any other private property), it’s highly recommended to seek the legal advice of an experienced premises liability attorney.
Second of all, determining negligence in a premises liability claim means proving that the property owner:
- Created the conditions that caused the accident;
- Was aware of the condition but never fixed it due to negligence;
- The condition has existed for such a long time that the owner should have learned about it.
Proving the above-mentioned factors may be impossible unless you hire a Riverside premises liability attorney from a reputable law firm. One such law firm in Riverside is the Law Offices of Howard Craig Kornberg, which has spent countless days and nights investigating premises liability claims and finding sufficient evidence to seek compensatory actual, compensatory and punitive damages on behalf of our clients.
Top causes of premises liability claims in Riverside
Causes of premises liability cases may vary greatly from one case to another, but during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, our premises liability lawyers in Riverside have handled cases involving:
- Slip and fall accidents (when the owner failed to warn guests of the wet floor after he dropped an oily turkey on the floor and the whole thing was a mess);
- Snow and ice accidents (when the property owner failed to clean up his porch and remove the ice, and guests ended up slipping on that ice and injuring themselves);
- Inadequate maintenance of the premises (when the owner forgot to repair the stairs in his house, and one of the guests ended up breaking his leg);
- Defective conditions or objects on the premises (the owner didn’t maintain his microwave properly, so it exploded when the guests went to heat the turkey);
- Inadequate building security (a thief, who thought it would be a good idea to try his luck on Thanksgiving, wanted to break into the house, but one of the guests scared him off when he exited the house; so the thief punched the guest and ran away. The guest would have seen the thief if the porch was lit up);
- Dog bites (the owner’s dog got mad at one of the guests for not sharing the turkey and bit him);
- Water leaks or flooding (just as a guest sat down on the toilet to play Candy Crush, a sudden flooding destroyed his iPhone because the owner never repaired those leaking tubes);
- Toxic fumes, substances, and chemicals (guests were poisoned after ingesting food or water from a supply that has been contaminated, and the owners were aware of the problem but failed to fix it or warn the guests).
Now that you know some of the most common accidents that lead to a premises liability claim in Riverside, you can inspect your house for potential hazards and carry out all necessary repairs by the time your guests arrive to celebrate Thanksgiving at your house.
If something went wrong and your guests still ended up injuring themselves – and now you’re facing a premises liability claim – (or if you were the one who got injured on private property) don’t hesitate to contact our Riverside premises liability lawyer at the Law Offices of Howard Craig Kornberg.