It’s a fact that the average compensation claim cost from pedestrians is nearly two times higher than the average claim for motor vehicle passengers ($118,000 vs $66,000).
But it’s also a fact that not all car drivers who injure pedestrians on the streets of Riverside are willing to pay compensation for the injured pedestrians’ injuries or even fatalities.
Not to mention that many drivers choose to flee the scene of the car accident, turning a car accident into a hit-and-run accident. How do you file a hit-and-run claim in Riverside?
A car accident attorney here at the Law Offices of Howard Craig Kornberg explained the legal process behind filing a hit-and-run claim and obtaining compensation for your injuries and damages.
More often than not, drivers that flee hit-and-run scenes get caught, and they get into even more trouble than they would if they chose to stay and help the victim at the scene of the car accident.
This was the case last month, when a man pleaded guilty to a hit-and-run accident in Riverside back in September. The driver hit a woman who was crossing the street, leaving her with a severe head injury, but chose to flee the scene.
The car driver was followed by a civilian driver who helped the police find and arrest the driver in question. The car driver is now facing a maximum of four years in prison, while the injured woman is entitled to obtain compensation for her life-threatening injuries.
Step-by-step guide to filing a hit-and-run claim in Riverside
If you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident, it’s recommended to do the following:
- Call 911 to have your injuries treated (or let someone else do it if there are witnesses at the scene of the car accident)
- Call the police (an official police report will be an important piece of evidence to start legal action against the car driver)
- If you remember anything about the car or its driver (car model, license plate, how the driver looked, etc.), write it down immediately (or let someone help you write it down if you were severely injured)
- Talk to witnesses and write down their contact information (this will make a huge difference when filing a hit-and-run lawsuit in Riverside)
- Contact a Riverside car accident attorney launch an investigation of your case and start legal action
- Let your attorney and the doctors assess all the damages associated with your injuries
- Only after your attorney has evaluated the total amount of compensation, contact your insurance company
- As instructed by your attorney, file a hit-and-run claim.
Can a hit-and-run driver be held liable for injuries?
If the driver leaves the scene, he/she can be held liable for your injuries under such criminal charges as felony hit and run.
Hit-and-run accidents may be difficult to litigate, especially if you were injured and are physically unable to obtain all the evidence and collect all the required medical and insurance records to file a hit-and-run claim.
That’s why it’s highly recommended to seek the legal advice of an experienced car accident attorney in Riverside. The Law Offices of Howard Craig Kornberg has been one of the leading law firms in Riverside and California for the past over 35 years.
Our attorneys have represented hundreds of victims of hit-and-run accidents and helped them bring the responsible parties to justice.
Call our Riverside offices at 310-997-0904 or fill out this contact form for a free case evaluation. Our skilled attorneys will be your secret weapon to winning a hit-and-run case.