Los Angeles bicyclists are no-doubt aware of the dangers and risks involved with sharing the roadway with motor vehicles. Some bicyclists may have even suffered serious injuries as a result of being hit by a negligent motorist. These individuals might have strong claims to seek financial compensation in court.
Just like drivers, bicyclists must follow traffic laws. Both bicyclists and motorists must also take care not to endanger other citizens. If, for example, a motorist fails to take reasonable precautions while operating a car and it results in a bicycle crash, the driver can be held liable for the bicyclist’s costs and damages related to the accident.
Examples of a negligent or reckless motorist who hits a bicyclist might be:
- A driver who is too drunk to drive
- A distracted driver who fails to pay attention to cyclists
- A driver who disobeys traffic laws by speeding, failing to use a signal or failing to stop at a stop sign.
When establishing a driver’s recklessness or negligence in a personal injury lawsuit, bicyclists will need to
- Show that the driver’s negligence or recklessness caused the bicyclists accident and injuries;
- Evaluate whether any negligence on the part of the bicyclist also contributed to injuries.
For example, if both the driver and the bicyclist were negligent in the crash, then liability may need to be shared by both parties.
Injured Los Angeles bicyclists do not have to take their accidents and injuries on the chin. If a negligent motorist caused you significant harm, you can assert your right to financial compensation in civil court by filing a personal injury lawsuit to hold the at-fault parties responsible.